Thursday, August 8, 2013

Blackberry Frozen Yogurt

Fresh blackberries... ahh.  Ice cream... even more ahh.
 
Okay, this is technically frozen yogurt, but it's still cold and creamy and perfect for a summertime dessert. Gorgeous color, too.  I found the recipe (as did many of you, I'll bet) on Pinterest and it looked so easy-- just two ingredients!-- that I had to try it.  Plus it uses my favorite yogurt brand, Greek Gods.  Here's the super simple recipe plus one ingredient I added:

3 cups blackberries
1 (24 oz.) carton Greek Gods yogurt, vanilla honey flavor
2 Cups powdered sugar, optional

First I crushed the berries in my food processor.
 
Then I poured half the yogurt into my ice cream maker, followed by all the berries, then the remaining yogurt.
 And  it works!  It comes out as very soft "ice cream" (freeze it thoroughly before serving).  However, this is frozen yogurt for people who think most desserts are too sweet.  In fact, they don't much like dessert; they're salt-and-spice people.  These are the women, at a party, who say, "Oh, try the punch; it's not too sweet," which tells me I'm not going to like it, and probably its main ingredient is ginger-ale. 
So, while my "sherbet" was still soft, I tasted it and realized I'd like it much better if it were a bit sweeter.  I stirred in some powdered sugar and now it tastes right.  To me.  If you like a less sweet mixture, by all means leave it out.  When I make it again, I'll add the sugar in the first place.
And here's another idea-- why not make this same recipe using other fruits, berries, or jam?  You can definitely taste the yogurt flavor, but since I like that brand, I think it's simply divine!

No comments:

Post a Comment